Tuesday, August 08, 2006

SLT Journal Entry: scenery and Wildlife

Here are some pictures I drew sitting in front of the recreation hall. The top on is of the water front. On the water front, there is a pier where the Floating Bear arrives to transfer people to the other side. There is also a small beach where the children spend most of there time while we are in morning session learning about "leadership". Apparently, there are leeches that float around in the lake. As in the picture, Sunfish sail boats and kayaks sit along the beach. I did not sail. I needed to pass a swim test in order to take out a Sunfish. If you don't know, I cannot swim.
I drew a picture of my foot and the various activities that are available while at SLT. My foot formed blisters and they were pretty much constantly filthy.


This is a seagull. They basically are more prevalent in the U.P. of Michigan than humans. Notice the downward slant of this bird's eyebrows. The like to gather in large flocks and come frighteningly close to you while you are eating. At Mackinac Island, they really like to swoop down and poop on you. One seagull got me in the shoe.
Next time you see one of these, do NOT feed this animal. Feeding the seagull will only promote the creature's annoying behavior of squawking for food. Instead, feed it a rock, throw a rock at it, or put a stick of dynamite in a hot dog bun and give the "hot dog" to the seagull.

The only creature probably more prevalent than the seagull is the mayfly. For a few days during SLT these insects land on the windows and walls looking for a mate. Apparently, they spend the majority of their lives in the water as larvae. Then they emerge out of the water for a few days, mate, and finally die. These insects are relatively harmless however - maybe except for the occasionally mating on the arm. My guess is that I've probably eaten about 10 buh-gillion while I've slept. They're probably from Canada.



I got impregnated twice while at SLT. The first time came as a huge surprise. One day, I noticed a huge bump on my forearm. It's hard to describe the emotions going through my mind, but they were a mixture between joy and anxiety. I wondered what kinda of creature lay under my skin. My appetite grew. I was eating for two now. I started craving all sorts of different winged foods that I did not normally eat.
The second time, the back of my right arm grew abnormally large. My knuckles eventually disappeared beneath my inflamed hand. I must have been carrying twins or something. Occationally, my hand would itch. I was the proud father of two strapping young mayflies. They eventually found mates and died.

There was also a porcupine name Oscar that hung around the campus for a while. There is even a song written by the Tri State Trio in honor of our beloved spiky friend. (More on the Tri State Trio here). He seemed very ill though. He couldn't climb trees and he would slowly avoid people in a very lethargic manner. I probably shouldn't have feed him all those ice cream sandwiches. I'm just joking, I ate them all for myself. Muahhahahahahahaha! Yes, my precious delicious goodies. Yes, all for me and none for all. Well, we eventually put him in a trash can and set him off in the woods to die peacefully if not violently. Awww, I kinda miss that cute, sick animal. I just want to rub my face against his jagged and sharp quills.

No comments: