Thursday, November 16, 2006

Culture of Christianity

I know the Christian lingo. I know the rights words to say, the right feelings to have, and the right arguments to make. However, no matter how much I look like a Christian, I'm not necessarily a follower of Christ. There is a certain struggle people have when they grow up in the church. A Christian sub-culture becomes ingrained inside their brain. Jesus slowly becomes the answer to every signal question there is about life. In many ways, our minds become numb to think critically about, not only what we believe, but the nature of our very beings. We fall into the hypnotic drum of Christianity rather than experiencing the full vitality of Christ. I would say that in many ways, my life is a 'Christian life'. I have more Bibles than I can count on my finger. Sunday bulletins are scattered all over my room. I listen to Christian music on my computer. I carry around a freakin' copy of My Utmost... for goodness sake. By all standards, I am all too familiar with the Christian culture. Do I reflect the culture of Christ? Do I represent Christianity or Christ?

No comments: