Sunday, January 07, 2007

Summary: Urbana

To say the least, Urbana 2006 was an eye-opening experience. I encountered both God's immense, awe-inspiring majesty and his deeply personal convictions. My eyes were opened to the deep seeded sin and brokenness of the world. Speakers came from around the world talking about the desperate situations in the city, the tragic ravages of AIDS, and the suffocating slums of poverty developing around the world. I wondered how such a flawed and sinful person such as I could ever make any significant impact on the problems of this world. Nonetheless, through the powerful expositions of the speakers and the inductive study of the book of Ephesians, I was constantly reminded of the rejuvenating truth of the Gospel. Although sometimes the world seems to fade into the black darkness of sin, I learned to understand that God prevails over all things. God prevails over our sin; he prevails over death, he prevails over injustice, over our apathy and inadequacy. God prevails over Satan. Through our week-long journey through the rich book of Ephesians, I was encouraged to know that with, through, and in Christ's power, the church wields authority over all rulers, authorities, and principalities of both the earthly and heavenly realms. Glory be onto a God who chooses to bring about his redemptive healing through broken, and sinful people! I was convicted of my failings to live out God's call, but encouraged when I realized that the redemption of this world lay in the hands of Christ and not mine.

I also had the privilege of seeing a part of God I had never seen before. With the diverse cultures of music during worship, I came to better understand that God is not solely an English-speaking, acoustic-guitar playing God, but a God who cherishes and delights in the diverse worship of him from all cultures and nations. My eyes were also opened during the messages of many of the speakers from around the world. Oscar Muriu, Pastor of Nairobi Chapel, convicted me of my ethnocentric perception of the Gospel. His message on the need for interdependence and reciprocity among Christians in the body of Christ was enlightening. American churches need to give and receive from other churches around the world. I realized that as a member in the body of Christ, I need to give, as well as, receive nourishment from other members who's type of Christianity might be culturally different than mine.

During Urbana, we also broke into “family” groups, or a group of 4-6 people to study God's word and pray together with. I cherish the times of worship, fellowship, prayers, and bible study with my CCMC family. A flu-like sickness afflicted some of us – including myself – and I was able to experience the compassion of a caring family as they tenderly cared for me. I was also encouraged during opportunities when we shared our struggles and triumphs in our Christian walks. I always looked forward to debriefing with the family after the nightly plenary sessions. Urbana built connections of deeper understanding with the brothers and sisters I intimately interact with, as well as, my brothers and sisters around the world.

Lastly, the exhortation to say “yes” to God's calling ran through out my time at Urbana. One night during worship, I came to the inescapable conclusion that the implications of following Christ required a complete dedication to God's mission of reconciliation. I realized that living worthy of God's calling required an understanding of God's worthiness. In my heart, I resolved to follow the footprints of Christ and live a life completely dedicated to his mission. What that exactly entails, I do not know. However, whether God calls me overseas, to the college campus, or to the cooperate world, I have resolved to live a life set apart for Christ. God has graciously placed me into his plan to change the world. I am called to be a world changer not because I am worthy nor necessarily because the cause is worthy, but simply due to the fact that God is completely worthy of our our investment, our future, our security, and our lives. I am more excited than ever about witnessing and participating in God's redemptive plan to change the world through his church.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So the question is... what now?

Haven't seen you online lately, but I'm hoping you see God doing huge things all around you! God's heart is massive and there's so much more happening on your campus than people realize. Don't let the fire on the altar burn out! - Ed