Thursday, March 29, 2007

Pig and Emerging from the Forest

So I was exploring 18 Peaks Park in Hsinchu and there was a person walking her pig. It was so cute ... and scary. I thought the thing was going to attack me at first! Unfortunately, my camera ran out of batteries so no picture. At the same park, I was wandering the trails and decided to take a trail that looked less traveled. Eventually, the path became somewhat dangerous to traverse. There were loose, round peddles on the trail (the ones you found on a stream bed). and the path became extremely steep and rough. Bugs were biting me, ants were crawling on the path, and a lizard darted in front of me. Eventually, I could see the path connecting to a paved road. Civilization! Apparently, what I thought was a path had eventually turned into a rain drainage slough-like path thingy. I emerged from the woods, with my shirt covered in sweat like a marauding bandit. This guy walking on the paved road curiously looked at the drainage ditch I emerged from. There are also a lot of - what I believe to be - abandoned alters scattered throughout the park. Kinda creepy. Here are some pictures:

Once of the lizard creatures I battled in the woods. Seriously, this dreaded cold-blooded reptile was no more than a foot long!

One of the active alters scattered throughout the park.

Not the above mentioned path, but one of the many perilous paths winding throughout 18 peaks park. One miscalculated step would mean eminent death or just really dirty clothes.

Elevation actually exists in Taiwan. I was heaving and sweating like an air conditioner halfway up this monster. I finally conquered the dreaded beast.

A shot of the beautiful park with the city in the background. Land is a precious commodity in Taiwan. A contrast between tranquil breathtaking landscapes and chaotic structures of concrete and metal exist on the island as in many other countries.

No comments: