Wednesday, May 30, 2007

"American" Food

NutritionData.com is a great site to find nutritional information from carrots to Big Macs to Whale meat. I must admit that I am a fast food enthusiast. Especially after being in Taiwan for a while, I hate to admit that I miss a lot of the greasy, fattening foods found in many of the fast food restaurants in the United States. Not to say that Taiwan cuisine is lacking. In fact, I am kinda of frustrated that I do not know enough Chinese to order some of the more local favorites. Nonetheless, I would not mind a nice thick slice of Chicago style pizza.

Anyways, here are some nutritional facts for three menu items from three popular American restaurant chains.

I have never had the Hardee's Bacon Cheddar 2/3 Pound Thick Burger. However, I hope to eat one before I die. Actually, I imagine that I'll probably die right after eating this bad boy. Layer of saturated fat after saturated fat - two day's worth - toped off with a thick dollop of mayo, all wrapped up in a sesame bun. Unfortunately, there aren't too many Hardees near my hometown. One day, my friend. One day we shall be one!


A few years ago Krispy Kreme hit the nation like bubonic plague. Everyone was raving about how delicious these delicate, light pastries were. My parents would occasionally bring these treats home from the next town over. They were good, but they were not that good. I honestly think Dunkin' Doughnuts makes a comparable doughnut. The nation finally came to its senses and people aren't so rabid about them anymore. Krispy Kremes dot the landscape but it seems like people don't really go there anymore. What was once a great treat to bring for class snacks is now something overrated and overdone. The deceptive nature of these pastries is that they're puffy. So after eating one, you want another. They do not satisfy you, they're like heroin. But you got almost 20% fat in one serving. Quickly pop down 5 and you have enough fat for the day.

Now this is the good stuff. Taco Bell's Grilled Stuffed Burrito. While this may not be as fresh as a Chipotle burrito, Taco Bell's GSB is a lot cheaper and serves as a quick and filling pick-me-up. I'll admit that this thing has a lot of sodium, but when made right, this thing actually fills me up. The GSB had a certain heftiness in the hands and the mix of meat, rice, and grease coupled with about ten packets of fire sauce make for a great quick lunch or late night food run. Unfortunately, Taco Bell's GSB can be a hit or miss depending on the restaurant. Some places know how to place the filling and grill the burrito just right while other places don't put any love into it.

No comments: