Saturday, January 07, 2006

Missed opportunities

Many times during the course of the day, the dry cleaners gets very boring. So during those times I usually try to occupy my time by staring blankly into the air or pondering the meaning of life. Occasionally, I crack open the Bible and read some intriguing story.

Well, the other day while reading the enthralling story of the demise of King Ahab, this random kid comes into the store. To be quite honest, I was a little peeved. Obviously, his only reason for coming into the store was to get a piece of candy that we offer to customers and to assert a little rebellious bravado to his buddy. Sometimes kids just do not know how to respect other people.

So this kid walks in and says, "Hey what are you reading there, A dictionary?"

I curtly respond,"No, I'm reading the Bible." I deliberately annunciated the word Bible so I could sound more self-righteous.

He then starts to guess my name. Kevin, Rob, and so on and so forth until I tell him, with a hint of impatience, my actual name. By this time I could tell that all he wanted was to get his hands on a lollipop. He finally asks me.

Putting on an empty smile, I tell him that he can take one. After which he takes a lollipop and leaves the store. I hoe-humly return to my 'righteous' bible reading like some grumpy old man returning to his television show after yelling at the neighborhood kids to shut up.

Wow. At that moment God really convicted me or my arrogant attitude toward that child. I mean sure that kid was basically just being a brat, but I did not have to be that way to him. Right in that brief interaction of less than five minutes, God offered me an opportunity to share his love and to proclaim his Gospel. What did I do? I missed an opportunity. I threw it away. The lollipop could easily have been related to God's grace. I could have probed him more about his dealings with the Bible. The kid came in seeking a lollipop and that is what he left with. Now, I realize that he could have left with something much more sweeter. Argh.

God has also really convicted me of not viewing everyone with his eyes. During church, the foggy 'righteous' glasses glaze over my vision. However, when in school, driving, or ordering 500 calories of grease at McDonald's my perspective is entirely changed. Do I love the hated, do I have compassion for the despised, do I view females with all purity. To be quite frank, no. I hate, have apathy, and lust much too often. I have ill feelings toward pesky teenagers (even though technically I still am one), I look down upon those teenagers serving me my Big Mac, and I am apathetic toward the spiritual state of the customers that come into the store. I really hope that I may see Christ's love for everyone I interact with. Lord, transform my vision and guard my heart.

This brings up another issue that I have been struggling with through out the semester. The homeless people on Green Street. My attitude towards them is completely wrong and sinful. Many times I wish they were not there. In fact, regrettably, I once took a diverted path so that I would not have to deal with the guilt of passing them by. They are human, they are loved by Christ. My attitude should be with eagerness to proclaim God's love to others so desperately seeking it. I had to lay that out there. I still do not know the best way to addressing this issue, but I know that the response should be out of Christ's love. Throwing money at people is not compassion. Lord, give me compassion, willingness and desire to sacrifice my time to show all people your love.

No comments: