Sunday, January 22, 2006

Sex, sin, and gifts.

James 1: 13-17

13
Let no one say when he is tempted, I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. 14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death. 16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Wow. Verse 15, really gripped my heart when I read the passage. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.

Noticed that the word conceived is used here. I was like wow, this thing is pretty serious. When I read the word conceived, I thought of the process of forming human life. I know that most of us have been through Health class. This process of conception involves the union of a male and female. Not only does this give a deeper perspective on sin, but on sex as well. That's right, I said the word. I truly believe that sex models our intimate relationship with God. Do not get me wrong, I am just as guilty to cheapening the sacred nature of sex/relationships countless times through my actions and thoughts. Sex is not some physical action nor merely a means for increasing population. We are talking about a physical symbol of God'intimacy with his creation. A sacred unity between God and his church; the Holy Spirit and the believer. I consider sex similar to communion or baptism in the aspect that they are physical representations that symbolize a deeper, more spiritual phenomena of God. This is why God so values the institution of marriage, because marriag symbolizes God's covenant with his church. Do not get me wrong, sex within marriage is only a human symbol that merely represents greater things that God offers. As a result, my heart grieves everytime I think about the times I have cheapen and distorted such a precious and good gift from God.
This passage also reveals the shear violation of God when I give into my evil desires. Think about this for a moment. We as Christians are unified with Christ. We have this unique and intimate relationship with him. However, when I give into my desires, I take part in conceiving sin. I become unfaithful to God and essentially I have 'sex' with my evil desires. Man, sounds pretty reprehensible. Throwing away the intimate, loving union with God and pursuing my sinful desire.
But wait. There is more. Sin does not stop at the moment of conception. Instead, as you read the passage, sin grows. Like a tree, sin starts to become a bigger part of our lives. Finally, at full bloom, sin yields death. So, I guess sin is more serious than I thought.
For further reference, read the OT book of Hosea in NLT. Quite a fascinating read.

I also love the second part of the passage. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above ... This passage has made me so much more thankful. The warm sunshine? Thank God. The refreshing rain? Thank God. The delicious candy bar? Thank God. Humbling to realize that everything from a job to good grades is a gift from God. We earn nothing. Praise him. Thank you, Father God, for the good and perfect gift of your son, Jesus Christ.

No comments: