Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Christian Community

Acts 2:42-47

"42
And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. 43 And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. 44 And all who believed were together and had all things in common. 45 And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. 46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved."

When all is said and done, things begin to become clearer and simplier. I think the down fall with working in God's kingdom is that so many times I complicate the situation. I complicate the means and methods, and I complicate the entire reasoning behind why I do what I do. I think with planning large groups last year, I got lost with over-complication in the planning when - after everything is stripped away - we realize that Jesus is the only reason and means that we do the things that we do. After reading this passage, I was really convicted and humbled by the simplicity of what the early Christians devoted themselves to. The essential, unfallible truth of the Apostle's teaching. Fellowship, breaking of bread, and prayer. What really stood out to me was their devotion to the later three.

Fellowship. I think that many times, we can get the most distracted by having fellowship. I think that many times, I get so caught up in having fun, I begin to get caught up in myself. The thing that really eats at me is the fact that whenever people are having fun and hanging out, there's always someone being excluded. When I was growing up, I always felt like the one being excluded. Part of the out crowd. I always felt like there was something wrong with me. That people looked down at me, they were annoyed at me, and that I was always unwanted. Some people don't realize how painful it is to feel forgotten or even worse, unwanted. However, I think that this feeling of hurt can eventually get really unhealthy and selfish. Eventually, self-pity sets in and it becomes you against the world. God is teaching me to take more proactive steps in inviting others to join in on the fun rather than sulking. I suppose in the end, fellowship is not about us or me or you. It's about others. With me, I get so caught up with my insecurity, my comfortableness, my desire for fun that I forget about the person sitting in the corner not having fun. I'm so busy talking with people that I know that I forget to talk with those that nobody knows or cares to talk with. Yeah, it's a little bit uncomfortable, awkward, and weird. Yeah, it requires a little step of faith. Man, it's so hard to remember what allows us to gather and the reason for meeting. We're all here because of Jesus. Let's not forget.

Breaking of bread. I think that the meaning of breaking of bread is not simply that they ate together nor merely had communion together. Communion or Eucurist was a form of rememberance and celebration - rememberance of the serious sacrifice of Christ, and a celebration of what he did for the entire fallen creation. I believe that we as Chrisitians should be committed to celebrating our milestones together - of remembering God's faithfulness in our lives. Eating together and making small talk is one thing. Eating together and remembering why we're eating together in the first place is another thing altogether. We're all here because of Jesus. Let's not forget.

Prayer. This probably convicts me the most. I most certainly do not prayer alone nor with other enough. In the end, we can have the best programs and talent in the world, but without prayer, it will amount to nothing. Prayer is so difficult to do (esspecially with someone with a short attention span). To sit and be still and do nothing but converse with God is one of the hardest disciplines for me to follow. I've also found that I pray the wrong prayers and with the wrong expectations. First thing is that I am not honest with God. I'm learning to curse God more and yell at him more. This might be heretical, but I'm learning to be more raw with God as a worship to him. Do you curse when you pray, do you admit your most evil and shameful desires. I'm trying, but it is hard. People usually do not realize this, some people don't even care, some people aren't even looking for it, but deep inside the heart contains the vilest sin and anger. Deep inside we are molesters, murderers, and thieves. Stand before the presence of God and see how well you stand up against him. Open up your heart and see the sickness that rots within. God wants to take that and burn it away from your soul. Give all that you have to God. Also, I don't think people realize that they are answers to their own prayer and the prayers of others. Sometimes I don't realize the implications that prayer has. We desire God to help us be more like him... Do you realize that means taking up the cross? We desire people to come to Christ... Do you realize that means persecution and hatred from the world? A spiritual battle for souls is going on right now. I may be the only person praying for some of my friends right now. Imagine people walking around campus, lost and under the influence of Satan without someone to pray for them. Sad and scary. Let's remember who makes the world go round, who gives us life and vitality. Jesus.

There's so much in this passage... I guess the big question is should we sell all our possessions? The answer is God demands much more than that. He wants your life, your soul, your hopes, and your ambitions. He wants it all. We are not to sell everything and live communally. That would be stupid and we would be extrememly bad stewards of God's possessions. However, the question that I ask myself deals with where my heart is. It pains me cause my heart is not in the right place. I am rich. I am the rich young ruler. I am the camel through the needle of the eye. I think the mere fact that I ask that question as I read the passage reveals my love of what I have. It reveals the fear that I have of losing my possessions. The answer to the question is yes and much more. We must not merely sell, but sacrifice all to God. After all it's all or nothing.

More to be said, but I'm getting too judgemental. Laters.

No comments: