Thursday, April 12, 2007

If God used Peter, ...

All the churches in Hsinchu gathered for Easter celebration this Sunday. I would say that there were about 1000 people gathered in a sports gymnasium together celebrating the resurrection of Christ. I was greatly encourage having fellowship with other Christians rocking-out to some cool worship songs. Instead of a sermon, the service was a nicely produced passion musical. Basically, we join Peter as he sits in prison awaiting his execution. He recounts his experiences from his initial encounter with Jesus, to his denial, and to his restoration. Even though I couldn't fully understand the dialogue, the stories were familiar.

I also tried to explain some racial and social issues surrounding the church in the US. As I was explaining the complex issues of the church in the US, I've come to realize the many ways Christianity in America has gotten very complicated and weighted down. Nonetheless, different places have different issues. Taiwan has a relatively homogeneous ethnic consistency compared to the United States. While churches back home may have to struggle with these issues, I also see an opportunity for God to reveal his unifying and healing power in racial reconciliation.

Some Mormons crossed my path on the MRT (Taipei subway). Unfortunately, I let the opportunity to interact with them pass. However, while I sat there, I wondered about the countless other religions which seem so confident in knowing the answers. I must say that I admired their dedication and boldness to share their faith to strangers. One of the Mormons was white and obviously spent a lot of his time in Taiwan learning another language and culture. I wondered about their motivations behind sharing the Gospel of J Smith. If Christianity is the true and only way, why are these two people so dedicated in sharing their truth while I sat idly by. I certainly felt that -- at that moment -- the two Mormons had more conviction in the truth they believed than the truth I believed. I wondered, if we as followers of Christ claim to know the one truth, way, and life, why are our lives filled with such passive weakness? How do I know Christ is the one way and how does my life reflect my convictions. I thought, maybe the truth I've believe is not as powerful as I've thought. During some instances earlier, I passed by some beggars on the street. I was fearful, not knowing what to do, not certain of myself in this cross cultural environment. That day, even though I had the opportunity to see a lot of great things, these events constantly ran through my mind.

I'm still wrestling with this issue. I claim to know the answers to life's biggest questions, but my life is marked with shaky conviction, apathetic lethargy, and weakness. How can I claim to be a Christian when my life seems to blemish the precious majesty of Christ's name. Isn't this the case of the Christian church so much of the time?

Well I think that
1) We have to realize that Christ's holiness and majesty are never threatened by our ineptness.
2) Christianity is about the essence of Christ, not the majesty of men. By working and transforming the weak, he reveals his power. That's why the Easter musical was such a great reminder.
3) The power of Christ comes from Christ and is not derived from humanely will-power nor determination. God transforms our hearts, our dead hearts cannot change our dead hearts.

During my stay, I've struggled with fully loving people. I've struggled with the motivations behind a lot of my actions and many things I've fallen short on. However, God reminded me that we love because Christ first loved us. In other words, the reason I'm feeling this impotence in my love and actions towards God, others, and myself is because I've lost a realization and sense of God's love for me. If I ever hope to deeply care for others or -- for that matter -- live effectively, I must first realize and embrace the love of Christ. The struggle to realize the truth that Jesus loves me is a continual and difficult one. Nonetheless, this long struggle to sip, drink, and swim in the living fountain of Christ is worth the fight.

Jesus loves me this I know,
For the Bible tells me so,
Little ones to him belong,
We are week, but he is strong,

Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus loves me, evermore.

No comments: